Our MSU Upward Bound Civil Rights Tour Blog

Thursday, July 30, 2015

We have made stops in Tennessee, Alabama, and Georgia. Our first stop was at a space center. At the space center, we learned all about what astronauts had to go through in order to go to space, and there were people who actually were at space camp. Sam and I went inside this space ride with graphics and shocks that made us feel as though we were on Mars. Then we went outside and went on a ride that was terrifying. The ride shoots people straight up into the air super high and fast, then back down and repeats. I was personally afraid because I do not like heights. When the ride shot down, I honestly thought I was going to hit the cement and die, but it was amazing. When I got to the top I looked out, the view was amazing, even the trees were really small. After that, we went on a ride that spins you around really fast to where you feel your own body weight on yourself and you cling to the wall. Most people screamed, but I found it very relaxing and all of us on this trip went on the ride together. 

Amongst the many things we did, my favorite things were the space center, viewing Martin Luther King Jr.'s house where he was born, and the one that was bombed, seeing the memorial, learning about Rosa Parks, seeing Booker T. Washington and George Washington Carver's graves, and I was extremely privileged the have a real life experience of what people had to go through during sit-ins. 

I also enjoyed touring the colleges and I'm now excited to know I'm interested in Spelman College. 

Andrea T.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for being a part of our blog and commenting!